Sunday 26 February 2012

How i've been fitting it in.... Bernie Style

Well, to be honest, I haven't.
My excuses?

1. No time.
2. No sleep.

Imagine a ZOMBIE on a SCHEDULE. That's me.

www.zombieinfo.com

If you can be bothered reading my crappy selection of why, feel free, it's diarised below.

I am running on empty, due to lack of sleep and each day's plan of beginning the day with a 45 minute exercise bike ride has come to pass just once this fortnight. The other days? I've slept through my alarm and woken up with 40 minutes to get myself ready and out the door to work. I've missed yoga for a few weeks, because when I went when I was tired, I fell asleep. It was embarrassing and I don't plan to do it again. I missed it for two weeks prior to that because I had a terrible viral infection and was bedridden for half a week, lethargic the week before that.

My week:

Sunday:
I worked out on the exercise bike, which was a pretty good start to the day. I ate well and made good choices, unfortunately I couldn't sleep at all that night. My husband was away, and our unsavoury neighbours were screaming and carrying on. Not a good start to the week.

Monday:
I woke up exhausted, slept through my alarm and didn't go to yoga that night because I was so, so, so tired. I would have fallen asleep (i've done it before). Unfortunately, that night I didn't sleep either. I woke up all night.

Tuesday:
I woke up exhausted, slept through my alarm and didn't have time to exercise before work like I'd planned. I knew I was going out that night, so I'd set my alarm for 5:15, but woke at 6:20 (I start work at 7:30, 40 minutes away from home). I went straight from work to see my mum. Her father died. We went to Sizzler for dinner and I had a steak for dinner, with sweet potato fries and brocolini. I didn't make any stupid choices because I couldn't. I got home at about 11pm.

Wednesday:
Woke up tired, slept through alarm, got to work on time but... tired. I had book club that night. I ended up leaving work late, had to stop by the shops on the way home and by the time I got home, I had very little time to spare. My husband rang me from overseas, and we had a good chat. Getting to book club meant NO time to exercise. I had to water our garden.

Thursday:
Woke up after NO sleep. Ran on empty all day. Had long standing plans to hang with my sister after work, but before seeing her I had an appointment in the city. Sigh. No time for exercise, but beautifully I FINALLY got a full nights sleep. Yes, I fell asleep on her couch from pure exhaustion and stayed the night there.

Friday:
I felt perfect and fresh, but - you guessed it, I had NO time for exercise that morningas I had to drive home from her place (it took 1 hour to drive home), and I had to attend a morning conference after doing some academic reading.  Friday afternoon I did household chores, did some gardening, did some grocery shopping and then went to dance class (I burn nearly 1000 calories on a Friday night at dance, so it's 'incidental' exercise and also fun). I picked up my husband that night.

Saturday and Sunday, I literally filled with household chores. I know I could have fit some exercise in there somewhere, but chose to spend my time between laundry loads and shopping trips, catching up on reading. Sunday I did more laundry, went shopping and then had a bunch of social events to attend. It was a bad weekend exercise wise!

Don't worry peeps, I know lethargy can only be combatted by good sleep which goes hand in hand with exercise. I also know that life happens, and keeping a house hold running as well as finding time for you can be tough (particuarly when life throws you incidentals). I'm going to try harder, because I have to, for me.

2 comments:

  1. Bernie I feel for you. Its not exercise. If you are too tired to exercise at least focus on nutrition. Its not too late to choose health. Good nutrition can bring back your energy. You know what you need to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how I feel you pain. My husband is working 7days a week and the last 4nights I sat down at 11:30pm after doing housework, dinners, cleaning and then I a overtired and can't sleep. Today which seems to be a regular thing leaves me shattered.

    ReplyDelete